A golfer husband, two dogs, and life in Lubbock, TX.
March 22, 2011 § Leave a comment
Today’s blog post comes from Jordan at Life Musings on what it’s like to be young and married and on a budget.
- In all seriousness, we’re the most boring couple ever. We get home from work, lay on the couch and watch television or a movie. Robert also plays lots of video games and I read.
- We don’t have cable or internet because we found out we like food more than technology.
- I’ve realized that I like fruits and veggies more when they’re on sale. Actually, this goes for anything: meat, clothes, gas, dog food, etc.
- We live in a two bedroom, one bathroom duplex at the moment measuring around 1,200 sq. ft. (it’s a big improvement from the less than 700 sq. ft. apt. we used to live in) and it lacks the basic amenities: dishwasher, electrical outlet in the bathroom, loudest hot water heater ever, missing tiles from the kitchen floor, dryer stuck in the kitchen as an after thought, etc., but at least we can afford it.
- We gave up our internet super smart phones for ones that can only call, text, and…that’s about it. But we’re saving around $100 a month which we put toward food. Again, food > technology.
- I married the only person on the planet who doesn’t like board games. So, for fun, we play golf (we get to play all over town for free since my husband’s a member of the PGA. Perk!) or we drive around looking at houses we can’t afford. We also enjoy walking to Sonic since it’s right down the street from us.
- When we need money quickly, I make my husband play in golf tournaments. Since he’s a pro, and really, really good, he usually places in the top three or four and walks away with prize money.
- We don’t spend a whole lot of money on ourselves, so once every other month or so we buy something for ourselves that’s under 15 or twenty dollars. Robert likes to buy video games and i like to buy books or movies or clothes. It’s fun and it gives us something to look forward to.
- When we do get internet (thanks, neighbor Erik!) then we browse Netflix watching hours of video. Again, sitting on the couch in the living room maybe munching on popcorn.
- Finally, my husband and I have two large dogs and they provide more entertainment then we need, and it’s not always the good kind.
* * * * *
Are you newlymarried? Single? On a budget? Maybe you’re a parent of a whole slew of kids and money is just not happening for you right now. Tell Frosted Lightly–by posting a comment here or on the Facebook page–your creative ideas on what you do for fun, or how you find ways to cut corners (financially speaking) and you could win your very own Dakara!